#AceHistoryNews – :March.21: Brill railway station was the terminus of a small railway line in Buckinghamshire, England, known as the Brill Tramway.
Built and owned by the 3rd Duke of Buckingham, it opened just north of Brill in 1872. As the line was cheaply built and used poor quality locomotives, services were slow, taking 1 hour 45 minutes to travel the six miles (10 km) from Brill to the junction station with mainline services at Quainton Road.
Although little used by passengers, the station was important for freight traffic, particularly shipping milk from the area’s farms to London. The Metropolitan Railway took over the line in 1899, and upgraded it.
In 1933 it became part of the London Underground as one of the two north-western termini, despite being 45 miles (72 km) and over two hours traveling time from London. The management of London Transport aimed to reduce goods services, and it was felt that the line to Brill was unlikely to become a viable passenger route.
The line was closed in 1935, and all buildings and infrastructure at Brill associated with the railway were sold at auction. Most of the station infrastructure was demolished, though three station cottages survive.